Indulge in the sticky, meaty, and delicious charm of the Philly Cheesesteak sandwich—simple yet bursting with flavor. This sandwich transcends the boundaries of Philadelphia, becoming a staple for casual and hearty dinners. When you venture into crafting it yourself, the canvas is yours to explore—try various cheeses, veggies, bread, and ham specialties until your personalized Philadelphia Cheesesteak dream becomes a reality.
The possibilities are both limitless and glorious!
This culinary classic traces its roots back to Pat Oliveri, a Philadelphia hot dog vendor who, tired of the same old hot dogs for lunch, decided to innovate. He grabbed some ham from a nearby butcher, tossed it on the grill, and nestled it into a hot dog bun. And just like that, a local sensation was born!
- 2 pork steaks
- 2 chili peppers
- 1 rhubarb onion
- 1 pound mushrooms
- 1 piece of provolone cheese
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- Begin by preparing all the ingredients for the Philly Cheesesteak. The key is to thinly slice the pork. Cut the chili peppers into long strips, halve the onion, and chop the mushrooms into small pieces.
- Heat a greased pan and add onions, peppers, and mushrooms to the mix. Cook on the stove until the vegetables achieve a golden brown hue. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add pork steaks and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the pork is thoroughly done. Reintroduce the sautéed vegetables to the pork, stirring the mixture. Top it all off with slices of provolone cheese, letting it melt for a minute.
- Fill your sandwich bread with this delectable meat and vegetable concoction. Serve promptly while the entire ensemble stays warm.
Enjoy the irresistible simplicity and flavors of your homemade Philly Cheesesteak!