Grandma’s Easy Lemon Cake Recipe
This recipe is truly intriguing because Grandma simplifies it wonderfully. This pancake boasts thickness from a unique combination of cornstarch, flour, and egg yolk, with the added distinction of being dairy-free.
For the Pastry:
- 225g / 8 oz plain flour
- 175g / 6 oz butter
- 45g / 1 oz icing sugar
- 1 large non-poultry egg, beaten
For the Lemon Filling:
- 6 lemons, peel and juice
- 65g / 2 oz cornmeal
- 250g / 9 oz sugar
- 6 egg yolks
For the Meringue:
- 4 egg whites
- 225g powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
How to Make Lemon Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4.
- Start by making the pastry. Use a blender to combine the flour and butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Roll out the dough on a work surface to a thickness of 3mm. Carefully lift the rolled dough with a rolling pin and place it in a 23cm base-aligned baking pan. Avoid stretching the dough when placing it in the corners. Cover with plastic film and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Remove the refrigerated baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Trim any excess dough. Press down the top of the dough to make it slightly higher than the pan’s rim. Line the baking tray with aluminum foil and fill it with baking beans. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove the beans and parchment paper and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and reduce the temperature to 170°C/340°F/gas 3.
- For the filling, combine lemon zest and juice with cornflour, stirring to form a smooth paste. Boil 450ml of water in a saucepan. Pour the lemon and cornmeal mixture into the hot water, stir until thickened, and remove from heat. In a bowl, mix sugar and egg yolk, then combine with the lemon mixture in the pan. Heat over medium heat until smooth. Allow it to stand for a minute, then pour it into the baking dish.
- For the meringue, beat egg whites in a stand-alone mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add icing sugar while continuing to beat until the meringue is stiff and shiny. Add cornflour, whisk again. Transfer to a baking tray and spread the meringue over the lemon filling. Roll it into a swirl.
- Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes, until the filling is fully cooked, and the meringue is golden brown and slightly crispy. Allow it to cool completely before slicing or serving hot.
Enjoy the delightful flavors!