Moist Lentils: Simple and Authentic Traditional Recipe
Indulge in the goodness of a straightforward and authentic dish with our recipe for simmered lentils. This robust and gratifying side dish is effortlessly prepared and pairs seamlessly with any main course, be it meat or fish. Begin by soaking dried lentils for 8 hours, then cook them with a medley of onion, celery, and carrots, enriched with tomato puree and bathed in steaming vegetable broth. Feel free to personalize the flavor by introducing your favorite herbs and spices. A perfect addition to family meals.
Lentils in a Tomato Sauce – A Classic Comfort Dish
Lentils soaked in a tomato sauce represent a classic and comforting culinary delight, easy to craft and brimming with flavor. Whether savored on its own with crusty bread or served as a substantial side, this recipe harmonizes effortlessly with a variety of meat or fish main dishes.
Simple and Genuine Moist Lentils
Moist Lentils stand as a straightforward and authentic dish that requires minimal effort in preparation. Equally delightful as a standalone dish paired with fragrant slices of homemade bread or as a hearty side companion to any meat or fish entrée.
Follow the classic preparation method by soaking dried lentils in cold water for 8 hours, infusing them in a pan with a blend of onion, celery, and carrots, and cooking them with tomato puree, all enveloped in a luscious vegetable broth.
The outcome is a delectable and richly flavored dish, making it an ideal choice for family lunches or dinners.
We opted for dried lentils to enhance the nutritional profile with abundant protein, but they do necessitate a longer soaking period. For improved digestibility, consider soaking them with a pinch of baking soda or boiling them with a piece of kombu seaweed. Alternatively, for a quicker process, pre-cooked lentils in glass jars can be substituted.
Personalize the legume’s flavor profile with bay leaves, as featured in our rendition, or elevate it with 1-2 sprigs of rosemary. For an exotic and spicy twist, introduce 30 g of grated ginger root and a pinch of turmeric to the mix.
If desired, swap the broth for an equal amount of boiling water, infused with the savory essence of vegetable bouillon.
Here’s a straightforward recipe to guide you:
- 1 cup of dried lentils
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk of celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 can of tomato puree (800 g)
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 30 g of grated ginger root
- 1 pinch of turmeric
- 1-2 sprigs of rosemary
- Vegetable bouillon
- Soak the lentils in cold water for 8 hours.
- In a large pan, heat a drizzle of olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion, celery, and carrot to the pan and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Optionally, incorporate ingredients like grated ginger root, turmeric, and rosemary.
- Drain the lentils and add them to the pan, stirring to coat them with the vegetable mixture.
- Introduce the tomato puree, vegetable broth, bay leaves, salt, and pepper to the pan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cover the pan.
- Simmer the lentils for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Optionally, add vegetable bouillon for enhanced flavor.
- Serve the moist lentils hot, accompanied by homemade bread on the side. Enjoy!